8.14.2005

after a while, it starts to add up to real money

When it comes to the "death tax," you can believe this, or you can believe this. I personally think the latter is a bit more convincing, and the former is somewhat reminiscent of Reaganomics. Those opposing the tax always seem quick to point out that it has historically only been implemented when the government needs to finance a war. How this is an argument for repeal right now, I'm not sure. I guess you could call the chaos in Iraq a mere skirmish. It has only been raging for two and a half years, after all. And there are those that make their case by emphasizing the size of estate tax revenues as compared to the scope of the federal budget. I suppose you can argue that 2% of federal revenue is a drop in the bucket, but still, $70 billion here and $70 billion there... After a while, it starts to add up to real money.