2.24.2006

an error in judgment

Now just so we're clear, I'm not trying to attack the legal right to free speech, or even suggest that it was a bad thing to do, but after reading this article, I found myself wondering if the editors at that Danish newspaper might or should properly feel a little guilty about the repercussions. Nobody could easily argue that they were at fault, but still, I think if it were me, I'd feel guilty. I'd probably wish I hadn't done it.

Upon second reading of the same article, the phrase "Jesus is Lord" caught my eye and got stuck in my mind. Now, for those of you who don't know about my recent exploits in religious studies, I've been regularly meeting with a group of people from my church, including the other members of my family, to discuss religion-oriented things. We usually pick a book with some religious theme, assign chapters, and meet to discuss (and eat junk food and drink alcohol.) It's almost like being in college again.

Anyway, the book we're reading at present is called Reclaiming the L Word, the "L Word" being, of course, Lutheranism, because that's what we are. But to get to my point, the author of this book lays out what she feels are five important guiding beliefs, the very first of which is "Jesus is Lord." So as you can probably imagine, I was struck by the usage of this phrase in the context of the article. I'm stuck. I don't even know what words to use to accurately communicate what I'm thinking. Maybe I could put it into a question. When the words are identical, how is it that the worlds are so different? What creates that unfathomable difference between my interpretation of those words and their interpretation of those words?