some things I'll never understand
I'm sure most of you have heard of the Bible-skewing, sign-toting, First Amendment-quoting lunatics that have taken to picketing military funerals as of late. I'm brought around to this subject, remarkably enough, by a story on the local news. A young soldier from Anoka was killed some weeks ago, and so a hate-mongering delegation was sent up from Kansas to dutifully "preach the word."
It's been a bit of a hot issue, even prompting the ACLU to actively promote restriction of free speech in the name of the right to privacy, and several states have passed laws doing just that. But Minnesota's law is still making it's way through the legislature, so the protesters were allowed free access to yesterday's funeral. Local news covered the story, and I happened by the television in time to hear our friendly news anchor Don Shelby attempt to illuminate the utterly twisted logic of the Phelps clan. He ended what I thought was an admirable report, paraphrased thus: I was appalled by the Phelps clan's message of hate the first time I covered their story, back when they called themselves by a different name: The Ku Klux Klan.
I've had a peek at their website, which I'm not going to link to here because it's just utterly abominable. But I did do a quick google search to see if there were other stories online, and I came up with this report, dating from 1994. It's lengthy and more than a bit depressing, but worth a read if you've got the time.
It's been a bit of a hot issue, even prompting the ACLU to actively promote restriction of free speech in the name of the right to privacy, and several states have passed laws doing just that. But Minnesota's law is still making it's way through the legislature, so the protesters were allowed free access to yesterday's funeral. Local news covered the story, and I happened by the television in time to hear our friendly news anchor Don Shelby attempt to illuminate the utterly twisted logic of the Phelps clan. He ended what I thought was an admirable report, paraphrased thus: I was appalled by the Phelps clan's message of hate the first time I covered their story, back when they called themselves by a different name: The Ku Klux Klan.
I've had a peek at their website, which I'm not going to link to here because it's just utterly abominable. But I did do a quick google search to see if there were other stories online, and I came up with this report, dating from 1994. It's lengthy and more than a bit depressing, but worth a read if you've got the time.