3.07.2006

bad democracy

I think this is pretty much the argument I've been trying to form in my head for a while now. The related articles at the bottom are helpful also.

Made me think of a political cartoon I saw, entitled "Their Biggest Fear," with a veiled woman holding up a finger stained with election ink, the background occupied by a number of Islamist extremists, their hats flying off their heads, which I guess somehow signifies sheer terror at the sight before them. I suppose that cartoon could convince some people that elections will blast the hats off the mullahs. But after reading a little bit of the above, I think you'll agree with me that it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Elections do not equal democracy. The United States doesn't have a democracy. We have a system of democratic procedures restrained by institutions and laws and checks and balances. Those things predated the first election. That's why it worked.