just kidding
I know I said I'd be MIA, but here I am, comin' atcha with your two o'clock briefing all the way from Belgium. What can I say... I'm unpredictable.
I'd thought about taking a nap while Ashlee supervises the rehearsal for the 5th grade graduation ceremony at the international school, but as the expected jet lag hasn't yet been forthcoming, I'm gonna take this energy and run with it.
Travel was as good as can be expected. Three airplanes, three trains, several confused moments, one almost-missed flight connection, and some lost luggage later, I'm here, and that's all that counts. The luggage was found and is to be delivered in a matter of hours. Considering it got left behind in Chicago, I have no idea how they got it here so fast, but I'm not complaining.
And I met some really interesting people. I don't think I've ever learned so much about so many strangers...
I met a nice couple in the Minneapolis airport with a cute little girl, 18 months old. We shared a table in a crowded cafe near the gate. I found out they're from Denver, but the mom just graduated from medical school and they are moving to Rochester where she got a residency at Mayo. And the kid just learned to drink out of a straw last week.
Then on the flight to London, I met an utterly charming 12-year-old girl from Cedar Rapids who was going to Italy and Greece with a group of middle schoolers through the People to People Ambassadors Program.
Then I met a couple who'd just returned from South Africa where they'd gone to do a 216 meter bungie jump. They had a connection fiasco similar to mine at Heathrow, and we ended up filing our lost luggage claims at the same time.
Finally, I met a nice young Indonesian man on the train from Brussels to Antwerp. He helped me read the train schedule properly, and I found out he's getting his Masters in Finance from the university in Antwerp, and he's always wanted to go to Hawaii.
It was really just a day full of the most random encounters... but all were genuinely enjoyable.
But that's all I've got for now. I need to get some dinner, and then wait for my luggage to arrive. More to come.
I'd thought about taking a nap while Ashlee supervises the rehearsal for the 5th grade graduation ceremony at the international school, but as the expected jet lag hasn't yet been forthcoming, I'm gonna take this energy and run with it.
Travel was as good as can be expected. Three airplanes, three trains, several confused moments, one almost-missed flight connection, and some lost luggage later, I'm here, and that's all that counts. The luggage was found and is to be delivered in a matter of hours. Considering it got left behind in Chicago, I have no idea how they got it here so fast, but I'm not complaining.
And I met some really interesting people. I don't think I've ever learned so much about so many strangers...
I met a nice couple in the Minneapolis airport with a cute little girl, 18 months old. We shared a table in a crowded cafe near the gate. I found out they're from Denver, but the mom just graduated from medical school and they are moving to Rochester where she got a residency at Mayo. And the kid just learned to drink out of a straw last week.
Then on the flight to London, I met an utterly charming 12-year-old girl from Cedar Rapids who was going to Italy and Greece with a group of middle schoolers through the People to People Ambassadors Program.
Then I met a couple who'd just returned from South Africa where they'd gone to do a 216 meter bungie jump. They had a connection fiasco similar to mine at Heathrow, and we ended up filing our lost luggage claims at the same time.
Finally, I met a nice young Indonesian man on the train from Brussels to Antwerp. He helped me read the train schedule properly, and I found out he's getting his Masters in Finance from the university in Antwerp, and he's always wanted to go to Hawaii.
It was really just a day full of the most random encounters... but all were genuinely enjoyable.
But that's all I've got for now. I need to get some dinner, and then wait for my luggage to arrive. More to come.