8.07.2006

I framed Roger Rabbit.

Be forewarned. This post has absolutely no road map. I don't know what's ahead any more than you do.

I still have no job. No interviews. No prospects. No luck. But life is good. I have a Plan B. Plan B actually has three parts, including subbing for half decent pay and no benefits, working another job to maybe get the pay up into the decent level, and taking classes in something that will help me get a job later, like ESL. Sounds good to me. I've officially reached the "whatever, I don't care" phase of my job search.

I've been reading a book the past few days. An impulse buy on Half, really. "The Modern Middle East" by Mehran Kamrava. It's good. I really thought I had somewhat of a grasp on the region, but turns out I didn't. I'm getting there, though. It's one of those books that goes really slow because every paragraph makes me think so hard. I find myself some time later staring off into space and I don't know how long I've been sitting there. I think I described "God's Politics" in much the same fashion. I'll give a synopsis of my thoughts on actual content once I've disentangled them.

What else? I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't make some mention of Friday evening and the social event of the season, the Wormley Bentley wedding. Quite the raucous party it was, too. The St. Paul Hotel was pretty much the nicest venue for a wedding reception I've ever seen, and with something like 250 guests in attendance, dining on salmon and filet mignon and indulging in an open bar, I can only imagine the price tag was something like 3 or 4 times that of your typical wedding. I had a couple rum and cokes before dinner, and by the end of the champagne toast, I was pretty well hammered. As was everyone else. Most of the people I knew there, aside from the occasional Luther person, were church affiliated. Our pastors said they witnessed a side of their congregation they'd never seen before. We all got together for breakfast on Saturday morning to rehash stories. It was a good time.

And that's about all the excitement. Weddings, books, and otherwise unemployed aimlessness. What a life.