9.06.2006

i don't know what's happening to my life.

So, I know you are just dying to hear everything that's been going on with me lately. In short, lots of things, and at the same time, not much.

A few good stories:

1. My car broke down. At least, we thought it broke down. But it turns out, it had just run out of gas. The gas gauge still said full though, so that was a little weird. Seems with both my mom and I driving the car on a regular basis, we each were convinced the other had recently filled the tank. Alas, no. So it got taken in to have the gas gauge fixed. Should have been under warranty, being that the car is only just over a year old. Sadly, the mechanic determined upon investigation, that it was not in fact a flaw inherent in the gas gauge; rather, a mouse had built a nest up underneath the car and chewed through the wiring harness. Thus the broken gas gauge. They patched it up without having to replace the whole thing, and some $300 later, all was well. We put some rat poison in the garage.

2. My dog ate the rat poison. A whole package of it. Luckily mom saw her finishing it off, and managed to get her in to the vet very quickly. They had to make her throw it all up, and she's on a blood coagulant medication three times a day for the next three weeks, and we're not supposed to let her get roughed up because it could cause internal bleeding. Stupid dog. I guess the rat poison is flavored like peanut butter, though, so you really can't blame her.

3. My computer broke. It was a while ago that this happened actually, but I ignored it for a time because it was just the latch that holds the screen closed. Not a critical part, but still annoying that it broke when the computer was only 6 months old. So I finally took it in to get repaired, and they warned me that it might not be covered under warranty because they have some kind of weird rule about plastic parts and physical damage. Long story short, they were right, it wasn't covered, but they advised me to call Toshiba and see what they said. So I did. And I basically got hung up on. So Dad called. He sat on hold for an hour and a half before being told no. By that point I just decided to pay for it myself. A couple days later, the repair shop called to let me know it was done. Oh, and by the way, they got Toshiba to pay for it. I don't know how, but they did. Happy ending.

4. Meanwhile, my brother's computer was also broken, and also in the same repair shop. His was a much more clear cut case, a recall type repair that was covered without question. But it turns out his repair would take even longer than mine because when the repair shop received the part they'd ordered from Toshiba and installed it, it didn't work. So they ordered another part, and that one didn't work. They ordered another, and that didn't work. They finally found a winner on part number four. But now he's got it home, and everything's gone sour. The computer is exhibiting definite symptoms of imminent death. I don't know what's going on, but I don't really trust Toshiba anymore.


In other news, I'm waiting to hear about a job with Barnes and Noble. Keeping my fingers crossed that I might have a shot at a full time position there. At least then I'd have health insurance. I'm also waiting for teachers to start to get sick so I have some sub jobs. I'm guessing they'll start to pop up next week.

Other than that, I'm voting in the primary on Tuesday for Becky Lourey. If you're in Minnesota, you should too!