5.29.2007

I have an announcement.

It's official. I got a job. It only took me two years to land a full time teaching job. Impressive, eh? Not so much, really. But regardless, it is done. I can check it off my list and no longer have to worry about it for the rest of the summer. I do, however, have to figure out how to teach 12th grade economics. Heh.

Everything is not set in stone yet, but the details at this point stand thus: I'll be teaching 9th grade civics and 12th grade economics at Yellow Medicine High School in Granite Falls, MN. Granite Falls is a beautiful little town of about 4000 people right on the Minnesota River approximately 125 miles straight west of the cities on Highway 212. It's about 15 miles southeast of Montevideo and 40 miles southwest of Willmar, if that puts it into perspective at all. Which it probably doesn't without a map.

It was the weirdest interview process I've ever gone through, and so different from here in the metro. They actually had 2 open social studies positions, but they called me to interview for a full time ESL position, even though I am barely halfway licensed in ESL. I drove out for the interview, which was with the retiring ESL teacher, the principals of both the elementary school and the high school, and the district superintendent. It ended up being a kind of joint interview for both ESL and social studies. The interview went spectacularly well, lasted for an hour, and actually ended up being a really good time. So, I had a good feeling about it.

The following two weeks were the worst part. They called me within a couple days to tell me they had filled the ESL position, but were still interviewing for the social studies positions. Apparently it would be some time yet before they made a decision. I was kind of worried that I would be at a disadvantage since my interview was so long ago compared to the others, but apparently I made an impression, because they called today and offered me the job - the one I wanted, even! They offered the other position (which was a split between 7th and 11th grades) to a guy who student taught there just last semester.

So that's my big news! Now the next job is trying to find someplace to live in that tiny little town. I think I can rent an entire 2 bedroom house for about $350 a month! There's something to be said for the cost of living outstate.